Using Oil For Massage
The benefits of massage were limited to a few who could visit spas in past. But today massage therapy and its benefits are well known to large number of people. Before getting into if coconut oil is a good massage oil, lets find a bit more about massage and its benefits
In a nutshell massaging is pressing, rubbing and manipulating your skin, muscles, tendons and ligaments. There are numerous benefits massage offers some of them are:
- Increased blood circulation and improves metabolism
- Relief from stress – the stress can be due to lifestyle, work or emotional. Massage seems to help
- Massage also helps in case of depression and helps calm your mind
- Relieves pain and removes stiffness from body
- Depending upon the massage oil used, massage can also help revitalizing skin cells and make skin softer and smoother.
There are numerous other benefits but these are the key ones.
Massage oil plays a key role in effectiveness of massage. Some oils are better suited as massage oils than others because of the way they interact with our skin and once the penetrate it. Almond oil, mustard oil, etc. are common massage oils. Coconut oil’s popularity is also increasing as a massage oil, but is it worth it? What benefits it provides when used a massage oil and why – let’s explore
Coconut Oil For Massage
Coconut oil for massage might be new for western world but it has been around for long in tropical regions. This no surprise because these people understood benefits of the miracle fruit a long ago and thus have included it in their life in various ways. Things which started as common knowledge are getting scientifically proved now. Coconut oil serves as a great massage oil and here are some benefits:
- Anti-microbial properties : Coconut oil has great anti-microbial properties and is great at treating various kinds of infections be it bacterial, viral or fungal. So when coconut oil is applied on skin it helps skin get rid of harmful bacteria and fungus which breed on it. Thus saving body from infectious diseases
- Health skin : Coconut oil has vitamin E in it. Vitamin E is well known to nourish skin and make it smoother and softer. You will find many moisturizer creams and body creams having Vitamin E in them.
- Anti-ageing / anti-wrinkle : Ageing makes skin cell lose their flexibility, softness and colour. Coconut oil is helpful in making skin look younger. Along with vitamins present in it, its anti-oxidant effect also plays an important part in this process
- Easy absorption : A good massage oil should be easily absorbed by body. Coconut oil is absorbed so easily that sometimes massage therapist use extra external moisturizer to make sure there is lubrication left while massaging. Almond oil is one common oil added for this purpose. Coconut oil is often mixed with other herbal oils and extracts to further enhance its effects.
- No stains : Coconut oil leaves no stains. Yes, this is a great news because most oils do leave stains and they are hard to go by.
- Muscle benefits : Massage with coconut oil can soothe and relax tight muscles in your body. This is great if you are tired due to physical activity.
Several people hate smell of massage oil, for example. It is never the case with coconut oil as pure coconut oil has mild coconut aroma which is just great!
Who should take coconut oil massage and when?
Coconut oil massage can be taken by anyone. It does not have any harmful effects. There are numerous cases when coconut oil massage can really help you:
- After physical and mental stress to relax your body
- In winters when skin becomes dry it is great way to moisturise your whole body
- Regular massage of coconut oil to children ensure that when they play outdoors, germs do not cling to their skin and later harm them. It can act as a protective shield.